Life has happened. It passed you by with barely a goodbye. A “so long,” and a “see you later,” is all that's left; so much more you could have done with your life. We all have our bucket lists that we wanted to complete in life. Some do more than others, some never even get started. Welcome to Life as it Happened a fictional retelling of those real bucket list items we all hope to complete before our last candle is snuffed. All are welcome to join in and contribute the stories of how they think their experiences would go. I'm your host, Marc Sakol, and I'm here to say “Hello” before Father Time says, “Goodbye.”


Monday, August 9, 2010

Crawling in my Skin

By “Absolute” Marc Sakol


Item #29: Overcome an Addiction

Date Completed: September 2011


I've never been one to admit to my addictive personality, because frankly I don't think I have one. I can quit anything I want, anytime I want; just ask my last five girlfriends. My friends happen to think otherwise. They ambushed me back in August with what they called an intervention. I called it entrapment. They lured me over to a bar claiming that it was our good friends bachelor party. When I got there they locked the doors and ambushed me. They whined and bitched that my addiction was tearing all my friendships apart and that I was killing my family. I told them I didn't have a problem, it was them who couldn't understand my needs. That's when they brought out the hard balls. A slide show of my destruction. There it was, the evidence staring me right in the face. I broke down and began apologizing. Never did I realize my so called hobby of collecting snow-globes could hurt so many people.

We started the rehab slowly, I wasn't allowed to buy any more then I already had. If I did, I had to willing throw one away. It was excruciatingly painful, so many wonderful pieces were passed up in order to preserve my collection. So many times I though, “well, they'll never notice one more,” but I held strong. I had to admit that I had no power over my addiction. Those damn propagandists in the snow-globe industry had me hooked on their cutesy little designs and tiny flakes of white.

I held strong thanks to my friends and family.

Last week, I managed to throw away my last snow-globe. It was a long journey. I wasn't so willing at first. I started by agreeing to remove them from my home but keep the objects of my affection in a designated place, a small warehouse outside of town. I found out after the fact that my friends were slowly emptying the boxes and smashing the globes out back by the dumpsters. It sounded really awesome. It took almost an hour for me to let go of the snow-globe, but I did it.

I'm proud to say that I've been snow-globe free for the past 2 months, though I still have to attend SGA; snow-globers anonymous.

Thanks to everyone that sent their support. I appreciated it and I want you all to know that you are all invited to my house to come see my new decorative tea-cup collection. It's totally choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment