Life has happened. It passed you by with barely a goodbye. A “so long,” and a “see you later,” is all that's left; so much more you could have done with your life. We all have our bucket lists that we wanted to complete in life. Some do more than others, some never even get started. Welcome to Life as it Happened a fictional retelling of those real bucket list items we all hope to complete before our last candle is snuffed. All are welcome to join in and contribute the stories of how they think their experiences would go. I'm your host, Marc Sakol, and I'm here to say “Hello” before Father Time says, “Goodbye.”


Thursday, August 12, 2010

Spinach Rag

By “Absolute” Marc Sakol

Item #27: surprise people by being fluent in an unexpected language.

Date Completed: January 2, 2018


I was traveling abroad for my birthday, but that's a story for another day. What's important here is that I was in Amsterdam for a short amount of time during the trip. While there I met a few really interesting people. I spoke the language well enough, so we managed to chat in their native tongue, Finnish. They were all quite amazed by my use of the language, it was more then they had seen from the few American's they had met. I was just glad to impress.


I had learned the language during my second run through college, I had gone back for a teaching degree in writing and to fill up some hours, I took a language that seemed different. My friends back in jolly old America always made fun of me for learning such a useless language. Well, look who's laughing now; it's those three guys and one increasingly attractive lady person who found the joke I just told them, in Finnish, hilarious. I'd repeat the joke, but honestly it doesn't translate well and you really had to be there.


Anyways, my trains coming into it's station and I'm off to my next destination on this trip. When it's over I'll tell you all about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment